365 project, 365project, Bataan, beach, fire dance, fire dancer, Five Fingers, in dencio's eyes, indencio's eyes, Kaweder Campsite, Mariveles Bataan, night, night photography, Photo of the Day, photography, travel, wanderlust
365 project, 365project, architecture, asia, beauty, bridge, canon, colors, culture, Hanoi, history, Hoàn Kiếm Lake, Hoàn Kiếm Lake Huc Bridge, Huc Bridge, in dencio's eyes, indencio's eyes, lake, nature, night, night photography, Photo of the Day, photography, street, travel, Vietnam, wanderlust
Hoàn Kiếm Lake Huc Bridge by Dennis Natividad · 365 Project
According to the legend, in early 1428, Emperor Lê Lợi was boating on the lake when a Golden Turtle God (Kim Qui) surfaced and asked for his magic sword, Heaven’s Will. Lợi concluded that Kim Qui had come to reclaim the sword that its master, a local God, the Dragon King (Long Vương) had given Lợi some time earlier, during his revolt against Ming China. Later, Lợi gave the sword back to the turtle after he finished fighting off the Chinese. Lợi renamed the lake to commemorate this event, from its former name Luc Thuy meaning “Green Water”. The Turtle Tower (Thap Rùa) standing on a small island near the centre of lake is linked to the legend. The first name of Hoàn Kiếm lake is Tả Vọng, when the King haven’t gave the Magical Sword back to the Golden Turtle God.
Large soft-shell turtles, either of the species Rafetus swinhoei or a separate species named Rafetus leloi in honor of the emperor, had been sighted in the lake for many years. The last known individual was found dead on January 19, 2016. There are three remaining turtles of the species R. swinhoei.
Near the northern shore of the lake lies Jade Island on which the Temple of the Jade Mountain (Ngoc Son Temple) stands. The temple was erected in the 18th century. It honors the 13th-century military leader Tran Hung Dao who distinguished himself in the fight against the Yuan Dynasty, Van Xuong, a scholar, and Nguyen Van Sieu, a Confucian master and famous writer in charge of repairs made to the temple in 1864. Jade Island is connected to the shore by the wooden red-painted The Huc Bridge (The Huc, meaning Morning Sunlight Bridge).
*Text from Wikipedia
365project, beauty, catholic, church, Filipino Culture, history, in dencio's eyes, indencio's eyes, intramuros, its more fun in the philippines, itsmorefuninthephilippines, manila, neo-romanesque, night photography, old church, philippines, photo of the day, photography, religion, tradition, when in manila
The Manila Metropolitan Cathedral-Basilica, informally known as Manila Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic basilica located in Manila, Philippines, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary as Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, the Principal Patroness of the Philippines. The cathedral serves as the see of the Archbishop of Manila, the de facto Primate of the Philippines.
Located at Plaza de Roma in the Intramuros district of the City of Manila, the cathedral was originally a parish church owned and governed by the Archdiocese of Mexico in 1571, until it became a separate diocese on 6 February 1579 upon the issuance of the papal bull, Illius Fulti Praesido by Pope Gregory XIII.The cathedral was damaged and destroyed several times since the original structure was built in 1581 while the eighth and current incarnation of the cathedral was finally completed in 1958.
The basilica has merited a papal endorsement from Pope Gregory XIII and three apostolic visits from Pope Paul VI, Pope John Paul II and Pope Francis. On 27 April 1981, Pope Saint John Paul II issued papal bull Quod Ipsum designating the cathedral as a minor basilica by his own Motu Proprio.