Guimbal Church by Dennis Natividad · 365 Project.
The St. Nicolas of Tolentino Parish, or commonly known as Guimbal Church, is one of the oldest churches in the Philippines.This yellow sandstone church is made from adobe stones called “igang” and “coral stone” quarried from Guimaras. It was completed under the leadership of Fr. Juan Campos sometime between 1769 and 1774.
The facade is a two-story affair flanked by twinned round pilasters decorated with floral carvings. Its vintage belfry is 4 stories high and doubles as a watchtower during the Spanish occupation against pillaging Moro pirates. It has undergone some reconstruction after it was destroyed twice, during the Second World War and during the 1948 earthquake. Recently, it was rehabilitated to its original structure.